A Web Application Engine is an extension to that process/interpret web application code. Some app engines are built into various web servers others must be installed.
App Engine Tip
- Carefully select your application platform. While all engines can accomplish nearly identical functionality some will be a better fit for where you are and where your web future will be.
Popular Web App Engines
- (Perl,C/C++,PHP) The first and still widely used web app, built into practically every web server
- Very popular scaleable web app. Can be purchased for most UNIX and WinNT servers
- Microsoft's version of a scaleable engine. Built into Microsoft IIS
- /JSP () Newer, very powerful engine. Built into some web servers can be purchased for others.