It is with great pleasure and excitement that I announce the official release of Drupal 7.x today. D7 is avaialble for immediate download over at Drupal.org, and we suggest that you do just that. Drupal 7 is already being touted as a huge improvement over previous generations of Drupal, which were already some of the most popular open source content management systems on the market today.
What's new in Drupal 7?
- UX (user experience) enhancements that focus on making common tasks easy to complete, default settings smart, privileges the content creator and simplifies website administration.
- Image handling out of the box, including the ability to resize, crop and alter your images.
- Built-in, automated test environment featuring a continuous integration test suite running against every patch for long-term stability of the project.
- Version upgrade manager and migration from Drupal 6 to Drupal 7.
- Performance and scalability improvements that serve web visitors faster via advanced caching, content delivery networks (CDN), and master-slave replication.
- Custom fields in core, native data item fields for any content type, but also for users, taxonomy, and other entities, plus support for translations.
- Database abstraction layer, enabling the use of many databases, such as Maria DB, Microsoft SQL Server, MongoDB, Oracle, MySQL, PostgreSQL, or SQLite.
- Native RDFa semantic web technology.