The social media ethics discussion is nothing new. For those of you who are at least somewhat active in the space, you've no doubt seen some of the discussions flying around blogger circles. The general question seems to be - do you promote your clients through your personal social networks? Obviously, it's not a simple question, and quite a few variables come in to play. For example, if you do happen to have a large and engaged network do you,
- Retweet your clients posts?
- Post their content on your Facebook profile?
- Disclose the client relationship?
- If so, how much disclosure do you provide?
- What if your network isn't interested in the content?
- Do you risk coming across as spammy if it isn't relevant?
- Do you want to disclose every client you work with?
- Does your relationship influence your true opinion of their product or service?
- What if (and let's hope this isn't the case), you don't like your client's product or service?